It doesn’t take a painstaking study to realize that Web Video consumption and Mobile Internet adoption are closely related. Being a child of the 70s I was recently quite impressed to learn that we’re now spending more time reading our phones that we do newspapers and magazines.
Simply go on the public transport system closest to where you live and check out what people are doing
Scenes like the one above are a commonplace occurrence in pretty much any urban setting on the face of the planet
The Argument 1 – We prefer Video content
Given the choice we all prefer viewing video content over static images and text. Just look at Youtube’s Alexa ranking:
From the above it’s arguable that we love web video only slightly less than we do our social content, but let’s not forget that nearly 60,000,000 of Facebook’s 750,000,000 users were spending time viewing videos there too.
…When they weren’t busy doing other stuff:
The point is this:
Mobile’s are making the web more accessible to more people every day.
This new audience will be increasing video views at least in proportion to it’s comparative size.
The Argument 2 – Video is ideal for mobile consumption
Check out that image above again – See all those kids in the train?
Given decent download speeds, which do you think they’d rather be doing?
My bet is this poll will come out with video viewing in a strong lead.
Mobile form factors are badly suited to consuming text content:
- The small screen size allows for display of only a limited amount of text at any given time, and must have a scroll mechanism for anything above two sentences.
- Reading in the conditions the mobile web is often accessed is far from a pleasant experience, with movement and jostling causing eye fatigue at accelerated rates.
- Video formats and players match mobile form factor’s well.
- By it’s very nature video content is presented and consumed over time – once the video “play” button is pressed, the user need do nothing more but enjoy the content.
- Messaging is received via both visual and auditory channels making absorption in less than ideal conditions a less challenging cognitive task.
Thesis – Mobile Consumption of Web Video Will Show Higher Adoption Rates
What this means for you?
Plan Video Content for Mobile Campaigns